According to MLBTR, Michael Young has requested a trade, and will only accept a trade to 8 teams. From T.R. Sullivan, those teams are: Cardinals, Yankees, Twins, Astros, Rockies, Dodgers, Angels, Padres. Realistically, what of those are the best fit?
According to Cot’s Baseball Contracts, Young is currently under contract for 3 more seasons for a total of $48 million. Realistically, unless the Rangers eat a major portion of the contract, the Twins, Padres, and Astros seem like poor fits. But what about the rest of the teams?
- The Yankees – Clearly, they can take on all the money no problem if they really want to do that. But it’s not really clear where Young would play for the Bombers. With Alex Rodriguez at 3B, Derek Jeter at SS, Robinson Cano at 2B, Mark Teixeira at 1B, and Jorge Posada likely to be the full time DH, this situation really isn’t any better for Young.
- The Dodgers – If he went to the Dodgers, Young seems most likely to be either the 3B, shifting Casey Blake to left field, or 2B, shifting Juan Uribe to a full-time utility role. But with the divorce of owners Frank and Jaime McCourt ongoing, picking up that much salary seems like a no-go for the Dodgers.
- The Angels – The Angels have a clear need at 3B, and even have some decent players that they could send back in return. They have also shown a willingness to take on salary to get the player they want. That said, I have to imagine that the Rangers would want to make the Angels over pay, either in terms of salary sent to them or in players, or even possibly both, since they are a division rival and one of their main competitors.
- The Cardinals – The Cardinals do have a need for an upgrade somewhere on the infield, and with David Freese at 3B, Skip Schumaker at 2B, and Ryan Theriot at SS, pretty much any of the positions would be upgraded by having Young play there instead. Unfortunately, the Cardinals do not really have the ability to take on payroll at the moment, as they have a current player that they really need to get under an extension first.
- The Rockies – The Rox are the name that keeps coming up for a trade, and I think that they may end up being where Young will be traded to. They have Ian Stewart at 3B and Jose Lopez at 2B for this season, and Young could be an upgrade over either of them potentially. They probably can’t take on the full salary, but if the Rangers were to take on at least $15-$20 million of the total, this could work.
There is the possibility that he could extend his list of teams that he is willing to be traded to, but it seems like there aren’t a lot of good fits out there. The Athletics come to mind, but the Rangers seem unlikely to move Young to a division rival and eat a lot of salary.